Thailand Government Boasts of Record Export Prices in 2013
September 05, 2013 - 22:01:05
Thailand has exported over 4 million tons of rice during January – August 2013 at an average price of $700 per ton, the highest price Thai rice has ever fetched, the Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) said earlier this week.
According to the government, earnings from rice exports in the first eight months of 2013 stand at around $2.8 billion, helped by the highest average price ever in the history of the country's rice export. However, historical data shows that Thailand had exported around 4.5 million tons of rice worth around $3.5 billion in January – August 2012 (at an average export price of around $777 per ton, using historical exchange rates). Thailand had exported about 8.34 million tons of rice worth around $4.7 billion in the same period in 2011 (at an average export price of around $565 per ton, using historical exchange rates), the year in which rice prices increased sharply from September due to the implementation of the government rice mortgage program.
The Thai government is targeting 8.5 million tons of rice exports in 2013, but exporters say that it is likely that exports would be restricted to below 6.5 million tons due to low demand and high prices. In 2012, Thailand exported around 6.73 million tons of rice, down about 37% from around 10.7 million tons exported in 2011. In terms of value, rice exports in 2012 declined almost 28% to about $4.63 billion, down from around $6.43 billion in 2011.
Meanwhile, the USDA says that low bids in government auctions to release rice from its stockpile are putting downward pressure on domestic rice prices. According to trade sources cited by the USDA, bids for the recent government tenders were as low as 12,000-13,000 baht (about $370 - $400) per ton, much below the government purchase price of around 15,000 baht (about $465) per ton. Local traders say that they expect prices to decline further following the recent government decision to reduce support prices and limit rice purchases under the rice mortgage program 2013-14 (read Oryza story Thailand Extends Rice Mortgage Program; Purchase Prices Lowered for 2013-14 Off-Season Crop).
- Italian Parliament Supports Local Farmers, Asks EC to Safeguard against Duty-Free Rice from EBA Countries. 2014-07-26
- Cambodia, France To Strengthen Bilateral Cooperation in All Sectors 2014-07-24
- EC to Discuss Italy Request over Duty-Free Rice Imports from EBA Countries 2014-07-23
- Rice Price Increases Fail to Cheer Vietnam Farmers 2014-07-23
- Cambodia To Host World Rice Conference and Cambodian Rice Festival in November 2014-07-22
- Italy demands ‘fairer’ rice deal 2014-07-21
- Meeting with the Economic and Commercial Counselor of the Embassy of the PRC and CRF’s Executive committee 2014-07-21
- UN Prescribes New Regulations for Arsenic in Rice 2014-07-18
- Oryza Global Rice Weather Outlook 2014-07-18
- USDA Forecasts 2015 Global Milled Rice Trade at Record 41.5 million Tons; Up 2% from 2014 2014-07-17
- FAO rice price update 2014-07-16
- Global Rice Area and Production Projected Record High in 2014/15 2014-07-16
- USDA Estimates U.S. All Rice Exports to Increase 14% y/y to 4.85 Million Tons, Imports to Decline 9% y/y to 950,000 Tons in MY 2014-15; Prices to Decline Sharply 2014-07-15
- Italy Steps Up Fight Against Cambodian Rice 2014-07-15
- Rice export target a big task 2014-07-07
- China Rice Imports Decline 7% year-on-year to 1.08 Million Tons in January - May 2014; Exports Decline 75% year-on-year to 63,771 Tons 2014-06-26
- Rice piles up as exports slow 2014-06-20
- Italy urges EU to scrap Cambodia tax favours 2014-06-17
- Italy Wants European Union to Stop Duty Free Rice Imports from Cambodia; Stresses for $237 per Ton Import Tariff or Safeguard Clause. 2014-06-13
- Exporter under attack in rice row 2014-06-07