Thailand Government Boasts of Record Export Prices in 2013
September 05, 2013 - 22:01:05
Thailand has exported over 4 million tons of rice during January – August 2013 at an average price of $700 per ton, the highest price Thai rice has ever fetched, the Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) said earlier this week.
According to the government, earnings from rice exports in the first eight months of 2013 stand at around $2.8 billion, helped by the highest average price ever in the history of the country's rice export. However, historical data shows that Thailand had exported around 4.5 million tons of rice worth around $3.5 billion in January – August 2012 (at an average export price of around $777 per ton, using historical exchange rates). Thailand had exported about 8.34 million tons of rice worth around $4.7 billion in the same period in 2011 (at an average export price of around $565 per ton, using historical exchange rates), the year in which rice prices increased sharply from September due to the implementation of the government rice mortgage program.
The Thai government is targeting 8.5 million tons of rice exports in 2013, but exporters say that it is likely that exports would be restricted to below 6.5 million tons due to low demand and high prices. In 2012, Thailand exported around 6.73 million tons of rice, down about 37% from around 10.7 million tons exported in 2011. In terms of value, rice exports in 2012 declined almost 28% to about $4.63 billion, down from around $6.43 billion in 2011.
Meanwhile, the USDA says that low bids in government auctions to release rice from its stockpile are putting downward pressure on domestic rice prices. According to trade sources cited by the USDA, bids for the recent government tenders were as low as 12,000-13,000 baht (about $370 - $400) per ton, much below the government purchase price of around 15,000 baht (about $465) per ton. Local traders say that they expect prices to decline further following the recent government decision to reduce support prices and limit rice purchases under the rice mortgage program 2013-14 (read Oryza story Thailand Extends Rice Mortgage Program; Purchase Prices Lowered for 2013-14 Off-Season Crop).
- Thailand Caps September 2014 Rice Export Quota to EU at 768 Tons 2014-08-21
- Japan to resume Fukushima rice exports 2014-08-20
- Quality control to lift exports 2014-08-20
- Cambodia, China To Boost More Trade Cooperation 2014-08-16
- USDA Forecasts 2014 Global Milled Rice Trade at 40.75 Million Tons, Up 3% from Last Year 2014-08-15
- Vietnam’s Leading Company To Invest in Rice Production in Cambodia 2014-08-15
- Myanmar Plans to Finalize Rice Export Agreement with China 2014-08-15
- Russia Rejects Parboiled Rice Imports from India after Detecting Pests 2014-08-14
- Thai Government May Lose $2.24 Billion from Spoilt Rice Stocks 2014-08-13
- PM pushes for more rice seed studies 2014-08-13
- Myanmar Gov’t to Release Rice Reserves to Tackle Potential Price Spiral 2014-08-13
- USDA Forecasts U.S. 2014-15 Total Rice Exports at 4.94 Million Tons, Up 17% from Previous Year 2014-08-13
- Farm exports on the rise despite demand fears 2014-08-13
- Nearly 95% of Italian Paddy Rice Sold One Month before New Crop Harvest 2014-08-13
- Thai Rice Exporters Seek Commerce Ministry Help to Secure Philippines Import Deal 2014-08-12
- Cambodia Exports 203,988 Tons of Rice in January-July 2014; Down About 2% from Last Year 2014-08-12
- China signs 100,000-tonne rice import agreement 2014-08-12
- Farmers Set to Abandon Farmland, NGO Says 2014-08-12
- Brunei Imports 3,003 Tons of Jasmine Rice from Cambodia 2014-08-05
- Thailand Hastens Rice Sales Plans; First Auction Likely in Early August 2014-07-31