Thailand Government Boasts of Record Export Prices in 2013
September 05, 2013 - 22:01:05
Thailand has exported over 4 million tons of rice during January – August 2013 at an average price of $700 per ton, the highest price Thai rice has ever fetched, the Department of Foreign Trade (DFT) said earlier this week.
According to the government, earnings from rice exports in the first eight months of 2013 stand at around $2.8 billion, helped by the highest average price ever in the history of the country's rice export. However, historical data shows that Thailand had exported around 4.5 million tons of rice worth around $3.5 billion in January – August 2012 (at an average export price of around $777 per ton, using historical exchange rates). Thailand had exported about 8.34 million tons of rice worth around $4.7 billion in the same period in 2011 (at an average export price of around $565 per ton, using historical exchange rates), the year in which rice prices increased sharply from September due to the implementation of the government rice mortgage program.
The Thai government is targeting 8.5 million tons of rice exports in 2013, but exporters say that it is likely that exports would be restricted to below 6.5 million tons due to low demand and high prices. In 2012, Thailand exported around 6.73 million tons of rice, down about 37% from around 10.7 million tons exported in 2011. In terms of value, rice exports in 2012 declined almost 28% to about $4.63 billion, down from around $6.43 billion in 2011.
Meanwhile, the USDA says that low bids in government auctions to release rice from its stockpile are putting downward pressure on domestic rice prices. According to trade sources cited by the USDA, bids for the recent government tenders were as low as 12,000-13,000 baht (about $370 - $400) per ton, much below the government purchase price of around 15,000 baht (about $465) per ton. Local traders say that they expect prices to decline further following the recent government decision to reduce support prices and limit rice purchases under the rice mortgage program 2013-14 (read Oryza story Thailand Extends Rice Mortgage Program; Purchase Prices Lowered for 2013-14 Off-Season Crop).
- Cambodian PM Asks Banking Sector to Support the Agricultural Sector 2014-03-06
- Rice Prices Continue To Fall 2014-03-04
- Meeting to discuss a new draft statute to establish Cambodia Rice Federation 2014-02-27
- Government provides more credits for helping rice sector 2014-02-26
- Presentation on Loan Facilities by Union Commercial Bank PLC (UCB) to ARPEC Members 2014-02-22
- The Agreement on Code of Conduct Between Ministry of Commerce and Community Rice Exporters 2014-02-20
- The new dishes menu by excellent chef Gain Paolo Raschi from Italy By using Cambodia Jasmine Rice as major ingredient 2014-02-19
- Vietnam Exports 307,000 Tons of Rice in January 2014 2014-02-12
- CAMBODIAN PREMIUM JASMINE RICE EVENING 2014-01-23
- Philippines May Buy Rice from Thailand; Seeks Rice Supply Agreement Renewal 2014-01-21
- Indonesia Claims Rice Surplus of 5.4 Million Tons in 2013 2013-12-31
- Vietnam Exports 6.45 Million Tons of Rice in January 1 - December 26, 2013 2013-12-31
- Thailand Exports 5.9 Million Tons of Rice in January – November 2013 2013-12-31
- Rice trader turns to premium consumer market for survival 2013-12-30
- Argentina Federation of Rice Producers to Publish Weekly Rice Reference Prices 2013-12-28
- Thailand Rice Exports Fell in 2013 Due to High Prices, Says Government Official 2013-12-28
- Oryza White Rice Index Up on Higher Thailand New Crop Quotes 2013-12-28
- Trade boss: Rice exports wilt in 2013 2013-12-27
- Thailand Hopes to Export 10 Million Tons of Rice in 2014 2013-12-27
- Rice exports boomed, but problems remain 2013-12-26